Are you looking to take your game to the next level and use a state of the art GPS for more precision when playing? This best handheld golf GPS 2018 article will make it easier for you to pinpoint locations and perhaps improve your game. By removing the guessing work, you can focus on each shot with more composure and thus, improve the quality of each shot. Our top recommendation is the Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS because of the accuracy and the innovative PINPOINTER technology.
When I started golfing, the first thing that came to mind was the clubs and the bags. Most people focus on this before looking at some of these accessories. However, the accessories have a way of simplifying your life and perhaps even improving your overall game. Using the best handheld golf GPS, I saw drastic changes in the quality of my game and how to play.
In this article, we have discussed some of these devices. They might not be as small or comfortable as the best gold GPS watches, but they definitely have an impact on your game. Our small buyer’s guide should enlighten you when it comes to the different features as well. Continue reading to find the best possible GPS watch.
Best Handheld Golf GPS
|Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS||PINPOINTER technology helps you play with not sight of the target||★★★★★|
|Garmin Approach G10 Golf GPS||Excellent rangefinder with an extremely accurate GPS||★★★★★|
|GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS||Talking feature eliminates the need to look at the device||★★★★★|
|Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS||Has the best battery life I have ever seen||★★★★★|
|IZZO Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS Rangefinder||It includes more than 38,000 different golf courses||★★★★★|
|Garmin Approach G6 Handheld GPS||Has the preview feature for a bird’s eye view of the course||★★★★★|
- 1 Best Handheld Golf GPS On The Market Today
- 1.1 Top Pick: Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS
- 1.2 Runner-Up: Garmin Approach G10 Golf GPS
- 1.3 Best Talking GPS: GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS
- 1.4 Best Portable GPS: Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS
- 1.5 Best GPS Rangefinder: IZZO Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS Rangefinder
- 1.6 Best Touchscreen GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Touchscreen Golf Course GPS
- 2 Key Features To Consider When Choosing The Best Handheld Golf GPS
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Final Recommendation
Best Handheld Golf GPS On The Market Today
If you think GPS, you think location and distance to different areas. However, these handheld GPS systems have been tailored to meet the needs of those who like playing golf. With so many options to choose from, you should look at our selection to get you started. All of these GPS systems have been used for various purposes:
Top Pick: Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS
Garmin is probably the leading brand in the world of GPS technology. My favorite option is the Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS. Since it is small and compact, it easily fits into your hand or your pocket if you don’t have an advanced pushcart. The advanced technology will set it apart from anything you have ever used before.
- Slope calculation technology: Helps you determine the perfect placement of each shot on slopes.
- Small and portable: It can fit in virtually any bag and your pockets if you don’t have a pushcart.
- PINPOINTER: Helps you find the direction to the pin if you are lost in the rough
- Club Advice Feature: This is perfect for beginners to understand the fundamentals of each club
- Pricey: It might be a little expensive for the beginner
Overall, this is an excellent option for beginners and pros. I personally use this GPS device and it should definitely offer great value for the money.
Runner-Up: Garmin Approach G10 Golf GPS
Our second GPS is once again from the Garmin brand and while it might not have the advanced features to the G8, it is still effective. The Garmin Approach G10 Golf GPS is a tiny option that includes a carabiner and belt clip to keep you from losing it. Since it is a Garmin product, it is effective and extremely accurate on the course.
- Massive memory: It features more than 40,000 preloaded courses from around the world
- Pin Placement: This will help you understand the green, including slopes to the determine placement
- Small and portable: It is really easy and simple to carry along and will fit in your pocket when not in use
- Really affordable: Instead of buying those expensive GPOS models, this one is great for beginners
- Battery life: The battery is only designed for one round on the course
Best Talking GPS: GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS
As a beginner, you might not understand all the key phrases and stats that are given. Fortunately, the GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS is one of our favorites for beginners. The reason for this is since it talks. Now you have your own personal caddy that tells you exactly what needs to be done and where to place the ball with your shot.
- Small: This device is really small and you need not worry about extra packing space
- It talks: Having your stats and calculations read out to you is much easier than reading them
- Inexpensive: Now even the entry-level players can afford a handheld GPS
- Water-resistant: Your GOPS can even resist some of the water you need to face during a downpour.
- Graphics: You might need to see the graphic display of the course from time to time
Best Portable GPS: Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS
Bushnell is one of those brands you generally link with the outdoors. However, the small and portable Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS is preloaded with more than 16,000 courses in over 30 different countries. One of the main features is the design and it can be clipped to your bags or your kit for simple and easy detection.
- Portable: Since it is portable and small with a belt clip, it can be used anywhere
- Fully Updated: Includes more than 16,000 courses in 30 countries
- Includes the Bushnell Golf App: This is great for beginners to help understand the game
- Long battery life: Bushnell claims it lasts up to two golf rounds and the battery never get weak
- Affordable: Even beginners can buy this GPS
- Lacks the ability to charge when used: You cannot use this GPS device while it is charging
Best GPS Rangefinder: IZZO Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS Rangefinder
While most of these GPS devices have the rangefinder included, the IZZO Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS Rangefinderspecializes in this feature. What I like is the rubber coating, giving it more durability for tough situations. The rugged design seems to be shock resistant, while also withstanding light showers when needed.
- Great memory: More than 38,000 courses have been preloaded spanning multiple countries
- Easy charge: Instead of plugging it in, the magnetic charger will keep you on the course in long games
- No additional fees: Unlike some of the others with apps, you can download the course for free with no annual fees
- Massive battery life: In my tests, I have used this device with the battery still going at over 10-hours
- Erases data: Some people have complained about the data being erased when charged
Best Touchscreen GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Touchscreen Golf Course GPS
Last but certainly not least, we have the Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Touchscreen Golf Course GPS. It is slightly small but can be operated with your fingers on the screen. Also, this works with light and not heat, which means no glitches in colder weather. The screen is really bright, giving you a clear view in the midst of the day when playing.
- Touchscreen: Compared to many of the others, this device has a touchscreen design
- Durable: Being durable, it is water resistant and can absorb some shock from falling
- Multiple courses: More than 27,000 courses have been uploaded for avid players
- Preview: The preview feature gives you a bird’s eye view of the hole and course
- Slightly expensive: It might be a little overpriced for many beginners to start with
Key Features To Consider When Choosing The Best Handheld Golf GPS
While you might think these products are easy to select, that is not the case. We have done a lot of research and to help you find the best option, here are the features to keep in mind. They might help you when selecting newer models in the future:
You would like to choose them small. Since they are small, they can fit in your pocket or even clip to your belt. No one wants to be walking around d with a massive GPS when pulling the best pull cart as well.
When looking for brightness, you should look at the backlight. If there is no backlight, the device might be rather useless during the day. The backlight is one of the best ways to neutralize the glare from the sun.
Ease of use
With all of these features, one might easily get lost in the idea of using it. You should try figuring it out before going out. I also believe the battery life is really important and you should consider having a battery life of at least 12 hours.
Most of these GPS devices already have the courses included and these courses will definitely help you when playing. Before you buy the device, you should consider looking at all the courses and how GPS technology helps you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before leaving you, I have found a couple of questions that many people might still have when it comes to these devices. If you would like to know more, see if any of these questions might be related to your queries:
How do I update the device?
Fortunately, most of these apps can connect to Wi-Fi. This means you can simply buy or download the maps and the new courses if you feel the need. Some of the others need to be manually updated on your PC.
Does it have a scorecard features?
People generally don’t mention this, but most of these GPS devices have the scorecard feature also included. This feature makes it ideal for each person to see how they are progressing and perhaps improve.
All of these GPS devices will make life easier for you on the course. However, the Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS stands out as the very best at the moment. Let us know in the comment section which of these devices you would like to have and if we might have missed any of your favorites. You might also like looking at the Best Golf Push Carts.