Playing at a high handicap can be fun, but finding the right clubs can be daunting. Ask any professional player and they will tell you how much the top clubs differ from the cheaper alternatives. The best golf clubs for high handicappers have less assistance and they allow you as the player to have more freedom on the course. The TaylorMade Golf M5 Tour Driver is an excellent place to start your pro upgrades.
After playing a little golf and testing a few of the elite clubs, I have learned so much about them, but that playing with any club almost feels like second nature. During this time, I had the opportunity to train amongst a few of the club professionals and this has taught me all about how to adjust and what makes them different from your entry level clubs.
In this article, we take a look at some of the top clubs that the professional players use. These clubs might seem too professional for you, but if you keep training, you can also use them to improve your game and your handicap. As mentioned, they have less give and require some more skill to master, but this will definitely work toward your favor.
Best Golf Clubs For High Hnadicappers
|TaylorMade Golf M5 Tour Driver|
|Callaway Men’s Steelhead XR Fairway Wood|
|TaylorMade M4 Iron Set|
Set of Irons
|Callaway Golf Men’s Rogue X Combo Set|
Fairway wood and set of irons
|Odyssey Men’s White Hot RX Putter|
|TaylorMade Golf Spider Putter|
- 1 Round-Up Of The Best Golf Clubs For High Handicappers
- 1.1 Best Driver: TaylorMade Golf M5 Tour Driver
- 1.2 Best Fairway Wood: Callaway Men’s Steelhead XR Fairway Wood
- 1.3 Best Irons: TaylorMade M4 Iron Set
- 1.4 Best Complete Set: Callaway Golf Men’s Rogue X Combo Set
- 1.5 Best Putter: Odyssey Men’s White Hot RX Putter
- 1.6 Best High-End Putter: TaylorMade Golf Spider Putter
- 2 What You Need To Look For When Choosing The Best Golf Clubs For High Handicappers
- 3 What We Would Recommend
Round-Up Of The Best Golf Clubs For High Handicappers
The features of these clubs are somewhat unique and they can be a little technical for some people to understand. However, we have done some research to simplify them in the short buyer’s guide. Now, you can also use these clubs to improve your performance and play at a much great level. Here are the top options available:
Best Driver: TaylorMade Golf M5 Tour Driver
Designed for the elite player, the TaylorMade Golf M5 Tour Driver can be considered the Rolls Royce of drivers for an elite player. The new inverse T-Track design allows the brand to add more weight and this will give you more power. It also helps the user to control the ball a little better and get the desired spin they need:
- Inverse T-Track: Instead of only 1, you now have 2 10g weight added and this will ensure optimal control and power through every shot.
- Twist Face: The twist face design is completely new and revamped and it enables you to have additional curvature. This will help with accuracy when you are playing the game.
- Hammerhead 2.0: The new Hammerhead technology works in conjunction with some of the other features. All of this combined will create a much larger sweet spot to work with as a player.
- Design: While all TaylorMade clubs are generally stylish, this one definitely takes the cake and it simply looks really professional.
- Price: Unfortunately, it is much more expensive than some of the other drivers designed for high handicappers
Best Fairway Wood: Callaway Men’s Steelhead XR Fairway Wood
The fairway wood is not an essential club that you need as a beginner, but as you turn pro, it does help out a lot. The Callaway Men’s Steelhead XR Fairway Wood is designed with a steelhead shape and a Hawkeye Sole. This combines to give you a faster shot off the tee and improve your overall performance when playing.
- J-36 Carbon Crown: Even at a pro level, this crown is sure to give you some forgiveness, which definitely improves your handicap.
- Speed Step Technology: One of the best ways to ensure you get faster swing speed and better distance.
- All Wood Types: if you only need one specific wood, this club is available in all the forms that you might need.
- Accuracy: The club tends to slack a little when it comes to accuracy and could potentially allow you to hook the ball
Best Irons: TaylorMade M4 Iron Set
The iron is one of the quintessential parts of your golfing experience. You definitely need a great set and TaylorMade is once again the top brand. The TaylorMade M4 Iron Set comes with RIBCOR Technology that offers some flexibility. It also puts more energy in the ball and could potentially increase distance and accuracy.
- Weight Distribution: The accurate weight distribution means the club offers some great accuracy, but also adds some forgiveness.
- 360 Undercut: With a design like this, you are bound to get more distance from each shot and improve your overall game.
- 7 Clubs: Since this is a complete set, you will get 7 irons to help you improve your game and complete your set
- Price: With TaylorMade, the price is a little expensive and this might turn off a couple of players before they reach the pro level. You can check out some of the other top irons.
Best Complete Set: Callaway Golf Men’s Rogue X Combo Set
You might have damaged your set and be looking for something more advanced. Well the Callaway Golf Men’s Rogue X Combo Set is the perfect set of pro players and it comes with everything that you could need to enhance your game. The set includes a fairway wood and set of irons, but you need to buy the driver separately.
- Flight And Control: The club includes MIM’d technology that should assist with the control and potentially give you more flight.
- Urethane Microsphere: Having Urethane Microspheres will ensure a comfortable feel and the clubs also feel more ergonomic.
- Combo Set: A combo set can save you a lot of money when you are looking to enhance your game quality.
- Price: Since this is also a high-end set, you can expect it to be a little expensive. Especially with the graphite shafts
Best Putter: Odyssey Men’s White Hot RX Putter
Once you have the majority of your set co0mplete, it is great to add an excellent putter to complete everything. The Odyssey Men’s White Hot RX Putter is designed to give you a softer core. This might mean uphill could be a little harder, but you will certainly have more control when playing. It also features a tour-proven head shape.
- White Hot Insert Technology: This technology will give you more speed when playing your shots on any slope.
- Better Friction: Having more friction will allow you to get more power behind every shot and improve your game.
- Multiple Grips: The club comes with a wide variety of grip selections that you can choose from. All the comfort will be in your hands.
- Design: Most players don’t really enjoy the look of the putter, but you could check out the best putters as well.
Best High-End Putter: TaylorMade Golf Spider Putter
If you are looking for a top of the range putter, you should look no further than TaylorMade. The TaylorMade Golf Spider Putter features Spider Arc Geometry and this gives you ultimate control and power. It is also one of the top putters that are currently being used by the PGA Tour professional players.
- Weight Distribution: The club itself is not all that heavy and this does make it perfect for all players. However, the weight distribution is near perfect.
- Pure Roll Technology: having this technology is really efficient. It will help with control and finding the perfect distance.
- Sight Lines: Since it includes 3 sight lines, you have no excuse not to be accurate with your aim. The arch also lines up perfectly.
- Price: Once again, TaylorMade has added their special price touch and this makes the club a little expensive
What You Need To Look For When Choosing The Best Golf Clubs For High Handicappers
You have seen some of the top clubs that we have selected, but there are also a few important things to keep in mind when looking for them. With the help of a pro player, I managed to track down some of these features to help you find the right clubs for your needs.
If you have reached the pro tiers of golf, the chances are that you already have a complete set of clubs and only need a few tweaks here and there. One of the best places to start making your upgrades and building your new clubs is the driver. However, you need to find which clubs are old and phasing out, before starting to replace them.
If your club has a certain feel and design, it is much better to look for something similar. You have already reached the advanced level and there is no need to try and reinvent the wheel. We recommend sticking to brands. This allows you to build up a selection of clubs that are all from the same brand and won’t force you to relearn everything.
Golf clubs have a ton of technology included and there is no need to jump the gun and go for something that has too much. Most modern tech features are designed to help beginners break into sports. We recommend looking for a club that will give you the ultimate feeling of control
What We Would Recommend
All of these clubs as individuals are highly recommended for players, but the Callaway Golf Men’s Rogue X Combo Set definitely stands for having a lot of clubs and woods. We definitely recommend it as the starting point for high handicappers.